Aside from the smaller and lighter aspects of the change there are a number of other things that need to be considered particulary if you are upgrading from the 1 or 2 to the 3. The GoPro Hero 3 doesn’t come with a whole load of accessories. You get the camera/case, 1 x Flat mount, 1 x Curved mount, 1 x Battery, 1 x 3 way Pivot Arm, 1 x QR lock, 1 x Skeleton Back, 1 x Additional (larger) QR mount.
1. All of your mounts and usual GoPro accessories will work with the new GoPro Hero 3 case. E.G. Chest Mount, Handlebar mounts etc
2. You will need different memory cards. The 1 and 2 accept SD and SDHC cards while the 3 accepts Micro SD cards. I have found that some retailers sell the same capacity Micro version for less than the standard size. You will be able to swap a Micro SD card into the Hero 2 if you have an adaptor.
3. The Hero 3 uses a different size battery. Therefore you will not be able to swap between the 1/2 and 3.
4. The back panel of the Hero 3 case is the same as the Hero 2. In my case this means I don’t have to go out and buy another Floaty back door back.
5. All bacpac accessories are backward compatible.
GoPro state that the Hero 3 is 25% lighter than the Hero 2. From my own measurements this is correct and infact the Hero 3 silver edition that I have seems to be even lighter. Of course at the minute my camera doesn’t contain an SD card but that won’t make a massive difference to the overall reading on the scales.
More GoPro stuff from Unsponsored can be found here.