After a repair almost two years ago my Kickr has started to make a click every few rotations. This seems to start once the trainer is warmed up.
When I took the trainer apart to check out the potential issue I found that the pulley wheel was not going to be removed as easily before. This has been mentioned a few times in the comment section of my repair guide – Wahoo Kickr Repair Guide.
Disappointingly this component has been created from the softest alloy in the world and isn’t available as a spare. Therefore using any metal based tool to pry the part away would result in serious damage.
I started with a pretty thin pry bar and worked up to the thicker tools. I made sure that prior to removing the pulley that the unit was placed on its side and that the well in which the bolt sits was filled with penetrating fluid. This was kept topped up throughout the process.
After about ten minutes of gently prying the pulley wheel it shifted. No marks were made on the unit using the plastic car trim tools.
The bolt has been put back in place in the image above. I did this to make sure the penetrating fluid wasn’t just going down the threaded hole.
I could then move onto removing the parallel key. A punch and hammer was used just to move it enough to get it to move a little and provide a gap underneath. I then used a smaller flat head screwdriver as a wedge that was gently tapped in. This moved the key just the right amount so that I could grip it with a set of thin nosed pliers.
Once free I noticed that the key has some signs of corrosion. Not much but enough to do any harm or cause issues. However knocking the key out did create a few marks. I have therefore ordered some marine grade stainless steel versions for the replacement to remove any potential issues. These are around four times the cost of the key being replaced.
Finally the bearings were removed. The flywheel side simply lifted out with a little wiggle. The drive side needed to be tapped out with the punch.
The non-drive side look pretty good and rotated well. The drive side bearing had lost all of its grease.
It still rotated and didn’t feel notchy but it was slow to rotate. It could be repacked and used again but when removing it I had damaged the inner seal. The image above shows the inner side of the bearing. You can see that it is totally dry and there is some evidence of corrosion around its outer race edge.
I’m not a big fan of reusing bearings that have been subject to hammer blows so have order two new bearings from Wynch Bearings. The set ordered are Enduro bearings. They are little bit more expensive than the SKF ones that I used last time. But if I get at least a couple of years out of them then it will be worth it.
Looking at the trainer overall it is holding up well despite all of the grease I had used during the last repair disappearing.
I suspect the heat generated during use is the thing that is creating the issues with the bearings and drying them out. Access to the bearings to regrease isn’t easy and once you have gone to the effort to take the unit apart you may as well replace rather than repack with grease.
Putting it back together I have used my own guide which can be found here.