There is always a chance that every time you put on piece of gear that has latex gaskets that the gasket could split. This recently happened to Dave Kersey. The choice of not paddling, getting wet/cold or carrying out an emergency latex gasket repair was an easy one to make.
Dave managed to use some woven medical tape to quickly and effectively repair the split.
Spray skirts/decks have a pretty tough life but do an incredibly important job. I’d been on the look out for a spray skirt to rescue from an inevitable trip to the bin and found one close to home.
Unsponsored’s little brother River (Militia) has a Palm Kevlar RT rand deck that has seen better days. I had offered to repair it for this post without seeing the total extent of the damage.
In fairness the skirt should have been consigned to the bin years ago or at least set on fire and given a grand send off. However the skirt was in such a bad state that it made the perfect subject for this post as most types of repair were required to bring it back to life.
To put the repair into context most joints on the skirt were compromised and in other areas the skirt had separated from the rand. In two key places the kevlar/neoprene had worn out/through and large holes had appeared. Even the top part of the tunnel had separated from the skirt and was also torn in a couple of places. All in all it was in a sorry state.
Given the number of GoPro related posts on this site it is pretty obvious that I am a huge GoPro fan and always have a couple of cameras on the go.
My latest camera, purchased just after release, is a GoPro Hero 4 black edition. Lats week I noticed that the silver fascia of the camera was cracked. The camera is only used in its housing and I can’t recall ever dropping the camera.
Over the course of the last few weeks I have welded up a Dagger Mamba (twice – two different splits). The last split was located in the centre of the kayak right underneath the seat.
To get a good weld both inside and out I removed the seat. Given the size of the unit I thought that it would be a fairly difficult exercise but it turned out to be very easy.
The back band was removed so that access was a little easier, then all bolts were removed. Four were located on the seat posts and the fifth on the central pillar/storage area. The seat was then lifted and twisted straight out.
I took a few images of the Dagger Contour outfitting along the way and thought a close up of the seat out of the boat may be of interest to some. So here they are!
I bought myself an IR (Immersion Research) Arch Rival drysuit for a trip to South America, and it got some pretty heavy use over the 6 months I was there as it’s not always as warm as it looks!
It’s had some long multi-days and endless hikes through forests full of spikes, been in strong sunlight pretty much the entire time and all the abuse you’d expect from a long paddling trip. I’d guess I used it around 3-4 times a week (as my cag had no neck seal) and the river water is usually really cold!
How to patch a canoe slalom boat – the video below is a time lapse of how to patch a canoe slalom boat. To help you out I have made a detailed written description of the process I went through of how to patch a canoe slalom boat. I would like to say a special thanks to Easy Composites who provided me with the repairs equipment for this video, if you need any resources to do your repair make sure to head over to their website www.easycomposites.co.uk.
To complete this repair I only used the equipment and products I have in my canoe slalom repair kit. This step by step guide on how to patch a canoe slalom boat, I hope you are able to repair your boat.
After reading through some old threads on liquid latex, I found some good reviews on the stuff but no pictures of how people got on, so I thought I’d share with you the pics of my repaired spray deck. Time for a little spray deck modification.
My spray deck had always been fairly loose fitting so I could get it off easier in a panic, but now as my confidence has built up, I wanted a tighter fitting deck to keep me drier in pushier water or waves.
At the start of 2014 I managed to put a cut in my Arc’teryx Fission SL jacket. The Fission SL is a super light weight Goretex pro jacket that is insulated. It’s a great jacket that is both light and warm and it has served me well through the British winters for the last couple of years. Unfortunately I managed to brush past a wall (bricks had sharp edges) and put a 5 to 6cm straight cut in the front of the jacket.
To say I was gutted would be an understatement. I looked at possible solutions for repair – tape, glue, patch etc. All were viable but to be honest if it’s less than perfect it would simply annoy me. So the only option was to contact Arc’teryx direct. To be honest I didn’t hold out much hope as I expected the repair to be hugely expensive and therefore not cost effective. But is was worth a go. Continue reading
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon pays a small commission on products sold through an affiliate link. Each of your purchases via our Amazon affiliation links supports the running of the site with no additional cost to you.